Thursday, October 20, 2011

Visual Thinking Research


My solution.
 In this puzzle of visual induction, I tried to find a pattern in each square and tried to make some kind of connection between every other block.  I ended up choosing C because it looks simple as the others but did not have any similarity with the other squares, which I somehow made sense of it at the moment, after looking at the puzzle for 10 minutes.















Evelyn's solution.
I asked my friend Evelyn to help me out on this assignment by doing these puzzles as I did mine.  Her answer was D, after thinking over it for about 5 minutes.  She explained her process of figuring it out by putting all of the squares together, merging the shape, which is why she thought the answer was D.












Solution to puzzle number 1.
Both of our answers were wrong.  Though its hard to imagine the lines were based on numbers, after seeing the answer, it seems obvious.  After showing Evelyn the answer, she told me that she has thought of it but it seems too random to be true.














My solution.
In this puzzle of matching, I tried to match these Tetris shaped blocks by rotating them in my mind.  I also carefully looked at where each block connects to figure out which one of them are identical.  Rotating these blocks in our mind is a common strategy but I still got a few of them wrong.












Evelyn's solution.
My friend, Evelyn, used the same strategy of rotation and made sure of where each block connects is the same as the matching one.  It seems to me that she was more careful on where each block connects with each other and because she was, she finished this puzzle correctly.














Solution to puzzle number 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment